1996-06-21 - Re: NWLibs> Stop Cross-Copying (Re: Take the money, Harry, re.)

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: fa919df818998e90ccedd31593128896d53c51781c3e0e4c4327e99ddcda9823
Message ID: <adef8e3705021004fb39@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 00:09:42 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 1996 00:09:42 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: NWLibs> Stop Cross-Copying (Re: Take the money, Harry, re.)

At 5:21 AM 6/21/96, jim bell wrote:

>The subject was the use of digital cash for accepting Federal matching
>funds.  I cross-posted ONE message.  It was appropriately on-topic in both
>areas.
>
>Okay?

No, not okay.

The resulting torrent of messages from and to Tonie Nathan, and about Tonie
Nathan, had no connection to anything related to the CP list.

I didn't single you out as the instigator of the cross-copying, as I had no
idea of who it was.... (but now that I know it was you, I can't really say
I'm surprised).

When messages are cross-copied, warning should be included saying that the
message is going to more than one mailing list, and perhaps why this was
deemed necessary. And most importantly, urging follow-up posts to carefull
consider which groups are appropriate.

(Many people don't even bother to edit the To: and Cc: fields, resulting in
a pile-up of copied names. I try to excise out all recipients except
"cypherpunks@toad.com," figuring anyone not reading the list is not worth
sending a separate copy to.)

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!