1996-06-01 - Re: Something that just crossed my mind. Sorry.

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: fc5dfb8ca40df91207168232b0fa058b554b6b2a1cfdb7f07777afee53c891bf
Message ID: <add4a150040210043125@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 11:31:17 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 11:31:17 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Something that just crossed my mind. Sorry.

At 5:01 PM 5/31/96, Sandy Sandfort wrote:

>At 10:35 PM 5/30/96 -0500, snow wrote:
>
>>It is my position (until proven wrong--please) that larger business DON'T
>>want anonymity. They _want_ to be able to track purchases and use of their
>>product for several reasons.
>
>Two quick answers:
>
>1)      What big business wants and what it would be
>        willing to accept in order to make sales, are
>        two different things.  While demographic data
>        are nice, an more robust economy full of big
>        spenders is better.

To add to this point, "all XYZ is economics." (Crypto, security, customer
preferences, etc.)

A K-Mart or Radio Shack might place a value on any customer's spending
preferences at, for instance, $0.035 per $100 spent. This is just a figure
I'm inventing to make a point; market researchers within K-Mart or Radio
Shack probably have better estimates.

Thus, if customers give information away for "free," as many do, then a
Radio Shack will naturally try to collect this information. Even better if
they can get info about earning power, neighborhood, magazines subscribed
to, etc. Some stores try to collect this information.

In any case, few stores will turn down a sale because this $0.035 or even
$0.10 "value" is denied to them.

It's always about economics.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!