1996-07-23 - Re: the VTW—FBI Connection

Header Data

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 027c0fff2e8e85baab6f3d595d6d687b057a5ed688029985536dddc3037267a7
Message ID: <199607222339.QAA18325@netcom7.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 16:20:06 +0800

Raw message

From: frantz@netcom.com (Bill Frantz)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 16:20:06 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: the VTW---FBI Connection

"Perry E. Metzger" <perry@piermont.com> responded to a nut case:
> Anonymous writes:
> > We have received information that VTW is run and supported by the FBI,
> > which we have suspected for reasons listed here.
>
> You are out of your mind.

What is more, in my case, it doesn't matter.  My feelings on the subject of
strong crypto are well known and almost always expressed over my .sig file
(which gives my address and telephone number).  In fact, I just asked to
have my name added to a letter addressed to FBI Director Louis Freeh on the
subject*.  If they don't know where I stand, then they don't care (as seems
likely).

The United States of America has a very strong statement in the first
amendment allowing people freedom of speech and "to petition the Government
for a redress of grievances."  While exercise of these rights has sometimes
resulted in certain sanctions (the Hollywood witch hunts and loss of
security clearances come to mind), if people don't stand up for what they
believe, then they diminish the very foundations of the country.  Sometimes
freedom is only available to the brave.  (But I don't really think this is
one of those times.)

* See safe@cdt.org or http://www.crypto.com/safe for information on this letter.

Bill Frantz       | Cave ab homine unius lebri | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     |  [Beware the man of one    | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com |   book]  - Anonymous Latin | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA

Thread