1996-07-18 - Re: Surf-filter lists

Header Data

From: “Declan B. McCullagh” <declan+@CMU.EDU>
To: vznuri@netcom.com>
Message Hash: 02ca9744432fdd7dd01433988d57ba5ebde483cb551344ff1532b330a6e97878
Message ID: <klvNtWK00YUq14yB40@andrew.cmu.edu>
Reply To: <199607161804.LAA26399@netcom18.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-18 04:53:15 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 12:53:15 +0800

Raw message

From: "Declan B. McCullagh" <declan+@CMU.EDU>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 12:53:15 +0800
To: vznuri@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Surf-filter lists

Excerpts from internet.cypherpunks: 16-Jul-96 Re: Surf-filter lists  by
"Vladimir Z. Nuri"@netco
> Meeks discussed a case where the software clearly gave *categories*
> of what it filtered, and I think he focused on a case where it
> was clear that it was borderline (the monkey with the eye poked
> out). in other words, it did appear to me that the software &raters
> were working exactly as they were supposed to, and he was hilighting
> a borderline case. moreover, the categories were clear: "gratuitous
> depictions of violence" or whatever. for *some* consumers, knowledge
> of these *categories* is going to be enough. other consumers
> are going to be more wary and want to make sure that the actual
> sites blocked correspond to the categories stated.

L.D. fails to say why NOW and gay history sites and gun rights sites and
EFF and LPF and SAFE @ MIT and HotWired should be blocked. He also fails
to understand that Brock and I both wrote the article. He finally fails
to understand that CyberPatrol's categories are anything but clear.

-Declan

Thread