1996-07-12 - Re: Minitel “saved” by hackers?

Header Data

From: “Deranged Mutant” <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
To: Daniel Salber <daniel.salber@imag.fr>
Message Hash: 0c3f533c68d9de80d7546718fa962aad2020bb684833918964b8661485420922
Message ID: <199607121324.JAA26628@unix.asb.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 03:19:20 +0800

Raw message

From: "Deranged Mutant" <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 03:19:20 +0800
To: Daniel Salber <daniel.salber@imag.fr>
Subject: Re: Minitel "saved" by hackers?

On 12 Jul 96 at 14:07, Daniel Salber wrote:
[..]
> Well, sorry if it is. That's what I read in a book about the early history
> of telephone. I don't have the reference handy right now, though.

Understandable.

> BUT: how do you explain that from the original conception (using the
> telephone for broadcasting), the telephone came to be a one-to-one
> communication tool ? Even if the implementation allowed it, someone had to
> think of it, right ?

Bell thought of the idea orig. as a broadcaster.  Then somehow when
it was set up he or someone else in AT&T did that. If I recall (no
refs handy) it had to do with the telegraph being (sort of)
point-to-point...

Bell used to tour the vaudville circuit showing off the telephone. I
think the idea emerged during that time... during such shows of tech
(common at the time) there was a Q&A from the audience.

Rob

> Thanks for the clarification anyway.
>
> Daniel

---
No-frills sig.
Befriend my mail filter by sending a message with the subject "send help"
Key-ID: 5D3F2E99 1996/04/22 wlkngowl@unix.asb.com (root@magneto)
        AB1F4831 1993/05/10 Deranged Mutant <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.

Thread