1996-07-27 - Re: The Four Horsemen Go to the Olympics!

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1cef1e00e8ad05c30ade6273a5734e48e342a67b5944d3f575073194a1a5ebb0
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960727182820.00d65a58@mail.teleport.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 05:49:35 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 05:49:35 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: The Four Horsemen Go to the Olympics!

At 03:22 AM 7/28/96 -0700, Timothy C. May wrote:

>By the way, the airline solution is not too difficult to visualize:
>
>1. Eliminate checked baggage, or at least require those with checked
>baggage to deposit it enough hours in advance to be inspected and to pay
>any surcharges for this inspection. (I try to only have carry-on baggage,
>and this seems to be a major trend.)
>
>2. Let the market decide. Airlines could announce their baggage inspection
>policy, and customers could decide on the tradeoffs between increased
>inspections and higher costs, and greater confidence in security.
>
>I think I'll repost my "Soft Targets" piece of a few weeks ago, in the
>light of TWA 800 and this morning's bomb in Atlanta.

Actually, if I wanted to blow up the Portland airport, all I would do is set
up a mortar up on the hills overlooking the airport.  The entire airport is
pretty visible from those hills.

There is no way to completely eliminate terrorism.  And since the imposition
of order tends to promote the escalation of disorder, I expect it to only
get worse...

And the only people to "win" will be the control freaks.
---
Alan Olsen -- alano@teleport.com -- Contract Web Design & Instruction
        `finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key
                http://www.teleport.com/~alano/
  "We had to destroy the Internet in order to save it." - Sen. Exon
                "Microsoft -- Nothing but NT promises."

Thread