1996-07-08 - Re: DEA Intercepts

Header Data

From: “Deranged Mutant” <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Message Hash: 1d117cd670359cea36c07047145afc141caa2b28e7cd5fb4aa312975988cfb80
Message ID: <199607080850.EAA28667@unix.asb.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 19:34:01 +0800

Raw message

From: "Deranged Mutant" <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 19:34:01 +0800
To: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Subject: Re: DEA Intercepts

On  7 Jul 96 at 23:59, Timothy C. May wrote:

> At 9:19 PM 7/7/96, John Young wrote:
[..]
> >   "I don't think J. Edgar Hoover would contemplate what we
> >   can do today in terms of technology," Reno testified during
> >   a Senate hearing in May.

A double-edged quote, isn't it?

[Tim's sort-of techie comments deleted.]

Who needs high-tech for a surveillance state? I remember several
years back a Soviet-history class that put a lot of emphasis on the
Czar's totalitarian regime, much of which was already in place when
the Bolshviks took power (and one of the reasons they held it).
Irregardless of the literacy rate (which I'm guessing was low
anyway), it was apparently common practice in many European countries
in the early 19th century (incl. Russia) to have 'black offices' in the post
offices that would steam open EVERY piece of mail to be read for
intelligence and surveillance purposes.  And back then there was
probably a higher proportion of meaningful mail since there was no
telephone, radio, or (very little) direct-mail marketing.  Generally
such offices were used for political purposes.  Oddly enough the
secret police organizations spied heavily on those in power as well:
sometimes I wonder if Americal political scandals are (or will ever be)
linked to US intelligence agencies listening in one some pol's calls.

This is akin in some ways to building a postal system where there's a
black office in every station.

Rob.

---
No-frills sig.
Befriend my mail filter by sending a message with the subject "send help"
Key-ID: 5D3F2E99 1996/04/22 wlkngowl@unix.asb.com (root@magneto)
        AB1F4831 1993/05/10 Deranged Mutant <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.

Thread