1996-07-22 - Re: Responding to Pre-dawn Unannounced Ninja Raids

Header Data

From: JonWienk@ix.netcom.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 31e81498fd60557503e4fa3a04f0aebb110e1fe8b48a8ba395980cf577e5bd53
Message ID: <199607220407.VAA18687@dfw-ix10.ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <2.2.16.19960722004904.1a3fece0@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-22 06:52:50 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 14:52:50 +0800

Raw message

From: JonWienk@ix.netcom.com
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 14:52:50 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Responding to Pre-dawn Unannounced Ninja Raids

On Sun, 21 Jul 1996, Llywarch Hen <ecgwulf@postoffice.worldnet.att.net> wrote:
[snip]
>I'd certainly agree with that, but would like to add that an unloaded gun is
>of no use and a gun in the nightstand or in the trunk of your car is also of
>no use. For all cases other than home intrusion, the gun has to be worn -- I
>recommend a shoulder holster. In the case of home intrusion, one can hope
>that the intruder has no desire to be successful and permits you to get the
>drop on him. Perhaps he'll slam the refrigerator door allowing you to fumble
>around under your pillow for your weapon. I know of people who have walked
>out of museums with paintings trailing alarm wires -- so let's hope our
>intruder is an amateur and best of all is scared off by some phony security
>signs, fake alarm wires, etc.

If you lock your doors and windows, forced entry generally becomes a noisy,
somewhat time-consuming process that allows anyone not in a recreational drug
induced stupor or coma sufficient time to pull a pistol out of their shoulder
holster (or nightstand drawer, etc.) and pull the hammer back.  (2-3 seconds is
all I need!)

>In these parts most guns seemed to be used by the temporarily depressed
>teenaged children of gun owners.

In the majority of cases, (although the margin is on the decline) when an armed
homeowner confronts a burglar, the burglar runs like projectile diarrhea for the
nearest exit, and no shots are fired.  However, these incidents are not counted
as firearms "use", under current crime statistic collection methodology.  Many
of these incidents are not reported, especially in areas where gun ownership is
not approved by the authorities.  Furthermore, if your Cousin Vinnie the crack
addict breaks into your house at 0300, attempts to rob you at knifepoint, and
you force-feed him half a dozen jacketed hollow points for his trouble, the
incident will usually be put in the same statistical category as the "crazed
husband shoots wife, children, 11 neighbors, and 6 police officers" tragedies,
even though you may never be charged with anything.  Most "studies" of crime
statistics come from gun control advocacy groups, and are suitable primarily for
lining the bottoms of birdcages.

>Now for street wear I strongly recommend a variety of loads. Probably my
>favorite is a reversed semi-wadcutter. This puppy is extremely inaccurate
>since it starts tumbling as it leaves the barrel. At extremely close ranges
>it'll tear up some flesh and further out it'll walk nastily through outer
>clothing completely wrecking it for formal wear and continue through enough
>skin to be damaging. Low on kinetic energy, it will however transfer its
>entire momentum where it counts. A semi-automatic will not properly feed
>these, so you gotta be traditional if you are of the big clip persuasion.

I have $10 US that says that this idiot has never fired a gun is his life.
Furthermore, it is obvious he has no clue when it comes to bullet/target
interaction.  A "reversed semi-wadcutter" is going to stay in its original shape
(for the most part), which will tend to make it over-penetrate, wasting kinetic
energy and endangering people behind the target.  Moreover, anyone who
intentionally uses an inaccurate load is a fool--missed shots waste ammo, have
no effect on the target, and run a significant risk of endangering innocent
people.  A hollow point or Glaser is a much better option.

Jonathan Wienke

"1935 will go down in history! For the first time a civilized nation has full
gun registration! Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the
world will follow our lead in the future!"
--Adolf Hitler

"46.  The U.S. government declares a ban on the possession, sale,
transportation, and transfer of all non-sporting firearms. ...Consider the
following statement:  I would fire upon U.S. citizens who refuse or resist
confiscation of firearms banned by the U.S. government."
--The 29 Palms Combat Arms Survey
http://www.ksfo560.com/Personalities/Palms.htm

1935 Germany = 1996 U.S.?

Key fingerprint =  30 F9 85 7F D2 75 4B C6  BC 79 87 3D 99 21 50 CB

Thread