1996-07-02 - Re: mocking paranoia

Header Data

From: “Deranged Mutant” <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
To: nelson@crynwr.com
Message Hash: 3b4fda5607ce507a47ba0ea24b2e2a9682165ad21c01ef05ec2e1b994d163a6e
Message ID: <199607012239.SAA25392@unix.asb.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 10:56:00 +0800

Raw message

From: "Deranged Mutant" <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 1996 10:56:00 +0800
To: nelson@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: mocking paranoia

On 29 Jun 96 at 5:58, nelson@crynwr.com wrote:

> Earlier, someone mocked someone else for being paranoid.  Sorry, but
> this is a mistake.  By definition, you have a non-empty threat model
> when you set out to encrypt; therefore you must be paranoid to use
> encryption. [..]

Depends.  If you're paranoia is irrational, then you may do irrational things
that will hurt...

For instance, there are people who believe that the NSA has control
over every C compiler on the planet which inserts a back door into
any version of PGP, and therefore the only 'safe' PGP is v1.0.

Rob.
---
No-frills sig.
Befriend my mail filter by sending a message with the subject "send help"
Key-ID: 5D3F2E99 1996/04/22 wlkngowl@unix.asb.com (root@magneto)
        AB1F4831 1993/05/10 Deranged Mutant <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.

Thread