1996-07-25 - Re: Twenty Bank Robbers – Game theory:)

Header Data

From: “Chris Adams” <adamsc@io-online.com>
To: “cypherpunks” <ichudov@algebra.com>
Message Hash: 3e2e6b1d27e74818cd17597ad0d6d6bfb5ee09d93985805cfdc0621854c257b6
Message ID: <199607251842.LAA25935@cygnus.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 06:39:13 +0800

Raw message

From: "Chris Adams" <adamsc@io-online.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 06:39:13 +0800
To: "cypherpunks" <ichudov@algebra.com>
Subject: Re: Twenty Bank Robbers -- Game theory:)

On 25 Jul 96 11:12:20 -0800, ichudov@algebra.com wrote:

>Here's a puzzle for our game theorists.
>
>Twenty cypherpunks robbed a bank. They took 20 million bucks. Here's
>how they plan to split the money: they stay in line, and the first guy
>suggests how to split the money. Then they vote on his suggestion. If
>50% or more vote for his proposal, his suggestion is adopted.
>
>Otherwise they kill the  first robber and now it is the turn of guy #2
>to make another splitting proposal. Same voting rules apply.
>
>The question is, what will be the outcome? How will they split the
>money, how many robbers will be dead, and so on?

First, the other nineteen shoot David Sternlight.  Then Perry and tcmay
get shot.  With the (now) absence of strong personalities to guide the
conversation among the remaining 8 robbers (should have shot tcmay
*before* he got his guard up) spend enough time arguing over trivialities
that the police show up and catch them all.

Moral: It is easier to herd cats than lead cypherpunks.

// Chris Adams <adamsc@io-online.com> - Webpages for sale! Se habla JavaScript!
// Automatically receive my resume or PGPKEY by sending email with a subject
// of 'send PGPKEY' or 'send resume'. Capitalization counts so be careful!

Thread