1996-07-25 - RPK Public Key Cryptography

Header Data

From: Stephen Cobb <stephen@iu.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4414a47cb0b0317a95c110556c589a4aecee325249ab55c34fa68d55d44cb8e9
Message ID: <1.5.4.32.19960725140222.00f90270@iu.net>
Raw Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 01:13:36 +0800

Raw message

From: Stephen Cobb <stephen@iu.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 01:13:36 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: RPK Public Key Cryptography

New algorithm from outside US, new crypto challenge?

My apologies to the list if this subject is old hat but someone just pointed
me to the RPK Public Key Cryptography site and I was wondering what people
thought of this particular technology.

The RPK Public Key Cryptography site at http://crypto.swdev.co.nz/ says:
Have a look at this  new approach to information privacy, designed and
developed in New Zealand. The RPK public key cryptosystem provides
industrial-strength public key cryptography that's available worldwide.
You'll find full technical information, free evaluation software and
development tools, and details of our
SafeCracker Challenge program where you can earn a $$$ REWARD $$$ while
trying to put us out of business!

The inventor and developer of the RPK system is aparently Dr. William
M.Raike who holds a US patent as co-inventor of scrambler which NSA banned
in the US. The Nicolai/Raike case attracted some media attention and, after
the NSA rescinded the order, it was one of the first instances in which an
NSA director commented publicly on patent secrecy issues. That invention had
its roots in spread spectrum technology. Note sure if that has any bearing
on the public key offering.

Note that I have no connection with this person, software or site, just
natural curiousity about what cypherpunks think about it.

Stephen Cobb, CISSP

Thread