1996-07-31 - “adjust your attitude with their billy club”

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 47c0c6c89307f5ae55083e663ab336309534e9751210c95ff5000339e51c21b3
Message ID: <ae24e2ee02021004242f@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 05:09:48 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 05:09:48 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: "adjust your attitude with their billy club"

At 6:28 AM 7/31/96, Alan Horowitz wrote:

>I am a strong libertarian. Sell crack cocaine, rent your pussy to horny
>middle-aged businessmen, do any non-violent,
>non-damaging-to-others-property you want, but damn well maintain public
>order and decorum. Or I will scream to my councilman for the cops to
>adjust your attitude with their billy club.

When the local cops adjust my attitude with a billy club for dressing like
a hippie and lounging around in a public place that my taxes have helped
pay for, I'll remember that a "strong libertarian" said that he was doing
the right thing.

In my town, the City-State decided to crack down on the homeless by
arresting people for "giving away food" in a public park. They charged the
soup providers with various failures to have Health Department permits and
for not having a permit to operate a restaurant, pay various fees to the
City-State, and so on.

I went to a City Council meeting when this was happening (1991-2) and spoke
up in the public comment part of the meeting. I pointed out that the very
same park at which these "food criminals" were doing their dastardly deeds
in was a park at which other people and groups were cooking hot dogs and
hamburgers, ladling out bowls of chili, serving potato salad, and generally
"distributing food." All, of course, without benefit of licenses, health
inspections, OSHA inspections, and so on. I suggested arrests of the picnic
groups begin immediately, using the same exact charges used to harass the
homeless helpers.

The Council members, most of them leftist liberals, had no answer.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!