1996-07-23 - DAM_lin

Header Data

From: jya@pipeline.com (John Young)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 489093ee6c1dd270dd25e07024451c3ebd9fb71314edcbf6aba30eab82ad7a61
Message ID: <199607231410.OAA19016@pipe4.ny2.usa.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 03:06:11 +0800

Raw message

From: jya@pipeline.com (John Young)
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 03:06:11 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: DAM_lin

   7-23-96, WaPo:

   "The Cryptography Wars." Op-Ed By Kenneth W. Dam and
   Herbert S. Lin

      In a June 10 editorial The Post disagreed with the NRC
      report, suggesting that law enforcement and national
      security interests require that current restrictions on
      cryptography be maintained. The Post asserted that it is
      "too soon" to accept that encryption can help law
      enforcement and national security.

      But arguing that it is premature to believe some uses of
      encryption do benefit law enforcement and national
      security simply denies reality. We emphatically reject
      The Post's implication that we "sacrificed" law
      enforcement and national security considerations in
      favor of economic interests. Indeed, only a fully open
      and inclusive public discussion can lead to the national
      consensus upon which any successful cryptography policy
      will depend.

   -----

   http://jya.com/damlin.txt  (6 kb)

   DAM_lin