1996-07-06 - Re: Need PGP-awareness in common utilities

Header Data

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
To: bryce@digicash.com
Message Hash: 50f64ddfade8bd2a9fb702699168a2ffc68891ef49e935573812d00d9cd1aab2
Message ID: <199607061753.MAA31894@manifold.algebra.com>
Reply To: <199607061311.PAA08700@digicash.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-06 21:06:26 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 7 Jul 1996 05:06:26 +0800

Raw message

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 1996 05:06:26 +0800
To: bryce@digicash.com
Subject: Re: Need PGP-awareness in common utilities

bryce@digicash.com wrote:
> I really don't see why programs like majordomo, UseNet
> moderation-bots, and most noticeably the PGP key distribution
> program are PGP-unaware.

My moderation bot STUMP is not only PGP-aware, it is also doing
a lot of PGP-related things. Among them:

1) For posters who voluntarily chose additional protection, STUMP allows
only messages with a valid PGP signature to be posted. All posts from
these people that do not have a PGP sig or have an invalid sig, are
automatically rejected. It protects them from forgeries.

2) All exchange between my modbot and human moderators is PGP-signed
(and encrypted when necessary), to insure integrity of moderation
email traffic.

3) All message approved for posting to usenet get signed with Greg
Rose's PGPMoose program.

4) There is an additional service for those who post through anonymous
remailers BUT want to have an identity and reputation. The idea is that
they submit their PGP keys to the robomoderator, and later robomod
takes the user id from the PGP key, replacing meaningless anonymous
addresses with their identity.

We currently have at least two posters whose real life identities are
unknown, who use this feature and have sent us their PGP keys.

STUMP is currently working in production mode seemingly with no problems.

For details, look at

	http://www.algebra.com/~ichudov/usenet/scrm/robomod/robomod.html

	- Igor.

Thread