1996-07-25 - Re: Brute Force attack Question (basic)

Header Data

From: morgan@keilin.helsinki.fi (Joel Morgan)
To: perry@piermont.com
Message Hash: 5b267359205d23b4e5b1eb172ea65b4e5f9d3fc248c7eaad7a01654ca58cb23b
Message ID: <199607242226.BAA10149@keilin.helsinki.fi>
Reply To: <199607241758.NAA18324@jekyll.piermont.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-25 01:33:20 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 09:33:20 +0800

Raw message

From: morgan@keilin.helsinki.fi (Joel Morgan)
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 09:33:20 +0800
To: perry@piermont.com
Subject: Re: Brute Force attack Question (basic)

Perry E. Metzger writes:

> Igor Chudov writes:
> > What is Alice and Bob decide to obscure their letters and add random
> > NON-ASCII  characters at random places?
>
> Assuming I'm using a statistics based technique, that won't help.

Some fairly basic questions:

1) Is a statistical test like this done on the net composition of the
   whole message or locally, point by point throughout the text (for
   example, using a window)?

2) If what's tested is the net composition of the message, could you
   choose padding to normalize a message back to an apparently random
   distribution?

3) What kind of computation overhead does this statistical testing
   impose (compared to what would be needed for a known-plaintext
   search)?

Thanks,

Joel/

Joel.Morgan@Helsinki.FI              http://blues.helsinki.fi/~morgan

    "Over the mountains there are mountains."   -- Chang-rae Lee