1996-07-24 - Re: Netscape

Header Data

From: David Sternlight <david@sternlight.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 62ebb3715a3e21235fdfec072fe445cff53ee626bff70e7e40cc97e4195cef71
Message ID: <v03007800ae1b6fcc7d17@[192.187.162.15]>
Reply To: <199607240213.WAA01656@black-ice.gateway.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-24 09:34:10 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 17:34:10 +0800

Raw message

From: David Sternlight <david@sternlight.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 17:34:10 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Netscape

At 7:13 PM -0700 7/23/96, Anonymous Remail Service wrote:
>As I have said before, European & other foreign users, who get the strong-
>crypto version should pay Netscape what they owe Netscape, to keep the ITAR
>as the issue, and not piracy. These are two separate issues, and if necessary
>the foreign users can mail anonymous cash [the paper kind] to assuage their
>consciences. Not all will do this, of course, but that's another example of
>ITAR losing US companies $ again. Lucky is, as usual right. There is a double
>standard for PGPdistribution vs other strong crypto distribution, and Tim is
>also right that this GAK-loving info-disclosure requirement sets a *really*
>lousy precedent for later software distributions. Pelease deal with issues
>separately.

This is hilarious. About two or three years ago, when I first began
discussing crypto, I made a similar suggestion with respect to RSA.

I was excoriated, pilloried, and in general called a very educational
selection of bad names.

David

Thread