1996-07-31 - re:WaPo on Crypto-Genie Terrorism

Header Data

From: Vinnie Moscaritolo <vinnie@webstuff.apple.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6898f179f115efa73d3a42eff6c990823f0924181ff74ac8a295ef4734210dbf
Message ID: <v03007805ae253702da4f@[17.203.21.77]>
Raw Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 03:20:56 +0800

Raw message

From: Vinnie Moscaritolo <vinnie@webstuff.apple.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 1996 03:20:56 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: re:WaPo on Crypto-Genie Terrorism

here is something my girlfriend sent me the other day, after reading the
Klinton-Antifreedom/terror news

Setting: Germany in the late 30's. Quote from "Stones from the River", by
Ursula Hegi.

I think this rings true for our country today. The tragic reality is that
the majority of people have simply forgotten the urge to question what they
read in the news.

"The people of Burgdorf went to parades and speeches--some because they
genuinely believed in their leaders; others, because not to go would call
attention to themselves.  Most practiced the silence they were familiar
with, a silence nurtured by fear and complicity that would grow beyond
anything they could imagine, mushrooming into the decades after the war
which, some began to fear, was about to happen.

To justify this silence, they tried to find the good in their government or
fled into the mazes of their own lives, turning away from the community.
They knew how not to ask questions; they had been prepared for it by
government and church. Over the years, they had forgotten that early urge
to question."

Vinnie Moscaritolo
http://www.vmeng.com/vinnie/
Fingerprint: 4FA3298150E404F2782501876EA2146A
"And someone said Hey man did ya see that?
   His body hit the street with such a beautiful thud..
I wonder if he knew what he was getting into...
  Or was he just lost in the flood?"

Thread