1996-07-13 - Re: Another bad idea

Header Data

From: “Deranged Mutant” <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
To: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Message Hash: 69427ae8129a6c47c9567f07d0728b95f1dc4c696fc0b9dd289f666184e0638f
Message ID: <199607130436.AAA15452@unix.asb.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 17:30:01 +0800

Raw message

From: "Deranged Mutant" <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 17:30:01 +0800
To: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Subject: Re: Another bad idea

Note that my main point was sort-of vague.  Let me re-iterate it:
crypto-activism should go along with the other activism for
democratizing countries like China, Iraq, Burma, etc.  Most of the
activists involved with those issues know about the culture (and many
are already PGP-aware)... so for specific situations some of the
ideas presents may not be appropriate for others.  It might be ok to
direct-mail someone in one country, but dangerous for someone in
another.

Also don't take for granted the relative access of privacy one has in
the US or Europe compared to some regime where you can
only net surf with a policement watching over your shoulder at the
police station's internet kiosks (hypothetical...).  Using an
anonymous remailer or web anonymizer may be reason enough to get
somebody in another country in trouble.

The thought of  blindly being a k00l krypt0 activist and getting some
poor guy in another country thrown in jail doesn't do much to help
democratize that country.

Spam and unsolicited mail aren't the way to go.  Better, more subtle
ideas, might be to say 'check out this page' ot 'i've got source code
for that on my page at...', which has techie or  even entertainment info
but also has political info (that already happens quite
unintentionally).

I wonder what web users in places like Singapore thought when they
kept running across blacked-out anti-CDA pages...

If one is familiar with the culture, one can even be really subtle
and seem to be talking about an unreleated story or even techie or
sports but actually be discussing the political situation in that
country (look at many Soviet films, some Chinese films, Spanish films
under Franco's regime, Cuban films, etc.)

On 12 Jul 96 at 18:30, E. ALLEN SMITH wrote:
[..]
> 	If these countries didn't value their technical people and what they
> can do, they wouldn't be allowing them on the Internet (even in a restricted
> way) in the first place. The above would only be a likely scenario if the
[..]
Don't underestimate people's stupidity.  The party loyalists or
bootlickers may get away with more naughtiness on the 'net, but those
borderline techies who are about due for another month at a
re-education camp or loyalty counseling may get screwed. If such
countries really valued their techies, then why do they allow them to
emmigrate to Western countries?

[..]
> 	How, precisely, is one going to filter out graphics from web sites in
> Chinese? Ascii text and ideographs don't exactly get along. One interesting
[..]
By filtering out all photographs, which from what I heard the Chinese
were contemplating.  Whether is it truly feasible is another matter,
of course.  But since when has infeasability prevented anyone from
trying it?

Rob
---
No-frills sig.
Befriend my mail filter by sending a message with the subject "send help"
Key-ID: 5D3F2E99 1996/04/22 wlkngowl@unix.asb.com (root@magneto)
        AB1F4831 1993/05/10 Deranged Mutant <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.

Thread