1996-07-07 - Re: Need PGP-awareness in common utilities

Header Data

From: “Deranged Mutant” <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
To: bryce@digicash.com
Message Hash: 71033a035d5f1ebf4e9c18aea91c6c02817f6d110879dae1912387ef966a244f
Message ID: <199607071744.NAA25785@unix.asb.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 04:31:54 +0800

Raw message

From: "Deranged Mutant" <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 04:31:54 +0800
To: bryce@digicash.com
Subject: Re: Need PGP-awareness in common utilities

On  6 Jul 96 at 23:56, bryce@digicash.com wrote:
[..]
> Hm.  That might be an interesting addition to my plan, but the
> first step is to generate ratings and to consume them at each
> individual's mail-handling site.  So I, for example, would run a
> script every time I received mail (or every hour, or every day,
> etc) which looked for ratings certificates, PGP-verified them,
> and saved the rating in a database.  Then I would run another
> script (every time I received mail, or every hour, etc.) which
> identified incoming messages and _did_ something to them if
> there were sufficient ratings in the database to merit _doing_
> something to them (e.g. delete, promote to a "well-rated"
> folder, demote to a "poorly-rated" folder, forward to my
> friends, forward to my enemies, etc.).

Some lists require plenty of time to read each day (let alone if I go
on a vacation for a few days and want to catch up).  Managing a
rating system would double the work if I were to do it by hand-rating
the raters, etc.

It's easier to put certain people or subject threads in a twit-list
folder and delete the rest by hand rather than put twice that effort
into a rating system... chances are most people who quickly tire of
maintaining it, let the rating system run on autopilot and then
disable it when they realize they missed something really important
or interesting.

Rob.

---
No-frills sig.
Befriend my mail filter by sending a message with the subject "send help"
Key-ID: 5D3F2E99 1996/04/22 wlkngowl@unix.asb.com (root@magneto)
        AB1F4831 1993/05/10 Deranged Mutant <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.

Thread