1996-07-20 - Re: Responding to Pre-dawn Unannounced Ninja Raids

Header Data

From: Arun Mehta <amehta@giasdl01.vsnl.net.in>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 77cc2a983e2a10de86ae87e24b6a0fd6bdb411b108dd5e0ab915a78e3bbd340f
Message ID: <1.5.4.32.19960720185045.0031750c@giasdl01.vsnl.net.in>
Raw Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 05:52:23 +0800

Raw message

From: Arun Mehta <amehta@giasdl01.vsnl.net.in>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 05:52:23 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Responding to Pre-dawn Unannounced Ninja Raids

At 01:10 20/07/96 -0700, Timothy C. May wrote:

>By "you," I have to presume you mean "me." No, I am not at likely to use
>this weapon in a rage against a loved one. Trust me.

This was not intended to suggest how "you" might behave, I don't
know you that well, it would have been less confusing for me to
have used the pronoun "one."

>It may sound "stupid" to you...I suggest you read up on evolutionary game
>theory. Sometimes one has no choice but to respond to an arms buildup.
>Unilateral disarmament rarely works.

There are surely alternatives to the extremes of unilateral
disarmament and an arms race? For instance, slowing down  the
race? More often than not, it is the US that has upped the ante.
They consistently had more nuclear warheads than the Soviet
Union, new technologies that disrupted the status quo came
generally from the West.
Arun Mehta Phone +91-11-6841172, 6849103 amehta@cpsr.org
http://www.cerfnet.com/~amehta/  finger amehta@cerfnet.com for public key

Thread