1996-07-22 - Re: A Snake-Oil FAQ

Header Data

From: “Deranged Mutant” <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
To: The Deviant <deviant@pooh-corner.com>
Message Hash: 8233c4a9b377af4f74c3cb99fabca7552af6f744bf01a529a3bbc7aeea4a5967
Message ID: <199607220206.WAA00212@unix.asb.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 12:02:13 +0800

Raw message

From: "Deranged Mutant" <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 12:02:13 +0800
To: The Deviant <deviant@pooh-corner.com>
Subject: Re: A Snake-Oil FAQ

On 21 Jul 96 at 6:03, The Deviant wrote:

> > I've written a short "Snake Oil FAQ" below.  It's incomplete and
> > needs some work (adding a few definitions, rewording, aesthetic
> > formatting, etc.), so think of it as a 'beta' FAQ (please don't
[..]
> Looks very nicely done.  I think you pretty much covered it... but...

Thanks.

> > Be wary of marketing gimmicks related to "if you can crack our
> > software" contests.
> >

> Even the best cryptographers and security professionals have done this.
> RSA did it with their Public Key system, which took 20+ years to break.

Note the words "marketing gimmicks".  The $100 reward isn't a gimmick
in the same way as "we'll give you our company" or "we'll give you
five free copies of our software".  But yes, that sentence could be
reworded differently.

> Throughout history, many security mechanisms, even the best ones,
> including Cyphers, Locks, Firewalls, etc. have been known to go as far as
> to offer prizes (some extremely high, upwards of a million dollars, some
> as low as RSA's famous $100 prize)
>
> I think that this one really is just a bit too broad.

Oddly enough, RSA's RC2/RC4 is also an exception to the proprietary
algorithm warning, (some would dispute that), so that section
needs some minor rewriting.

*sigh*

I'll work on it.

Thanks,
Rob

---
No-frills sig.
Befriend my mail filter by sending a message with the subject "send help"
Key-ID: 5D3F2E99 1996/04/22 wlkngowl@unix.asb.com (root@magneto)
        AB1F4831 1993/05/10 Deranged Mutant <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.

Thread