1996-07-20 - Re: Kellstrom Calls for DT Funding

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 85154773d574cbb9c742c8cc80add129b486c9ff1fe8d4ad563360225f2001f9
Message ID: <ae15bb1717021004f5c9@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 18:40:44 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sat, 20 Jul 1996 18:40:44 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Kellstrom Calls for DT Funding

[File under the "be careful what you ask for" heading]

At 12:58 AM 7/20/96, jim bell wrote:
>At 02:33 PM 7/19/96 -0400, Duncan Frissell wrote:
>>In a "briefing" on TWA 800 when one of the reporters tossed Big Jim
>>Kellstrom (Deputy Director in Charge of the New York Office) of the FBI a
>>softball question about what he needed to fight terrorism; he took the
>>opportunity to call for full funding of the Digital Telephony Bill.  He said
>>the usual about how bad guys conspire and we need to tap.
>

>Too bad these people aren't required to show specific examples where the
>"bad guys" got away as a result of their failure to be able to do wiretaps.

I don't think asking for this evidence is a good idea. After all, there
probably _are_ such examples. It stands to reason.

But so what? The issue is not whether extensive wiretapping would catch
certain conspirators and head off certain crimes, the issue is one of how
liberal and free societies are to operate. Our system has frowned upon such
Orwellian schemes as mandating that video cameras be placed in all
residences and in all hotel rooms, regardless of whether certain crimes
would be detected or deterred.

The proper argument is not to demand proof of how useful such measures as
the FBI would like to see are, but, rather, to focus on basic rights
issues.

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!