1996-07-06 - Re: What remains to be done.

Header Data

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
To: attila <attila@primenet.com>
Message Hash: 89d0395490f9639a9c0582f687477e9ac7fa4cd52c7c6f2be92ff4a52310f5c8
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.94.960706051146.19983C-100000@polaris>
Reply To: <199607040558.WAA07414@primenet.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-06 11:50:26 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 6 Jul 1996 19:50:26 +0800

Raw message

From: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 1996 19:50:26 +0800
To: attila <attila@primenet.com>
Subject: Re: What remains to be done.

On Thu, 4 Jul 1996, attila wrote:

> Addressed to: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
>               Cypherpunks <cypherpunks@toad.com>
>
> ** Reply to note from Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li> 07/03/96 10:17pm -0400
>
> 	good "white paper."
>
> 	modularity is the key.  use of standardized encryption libraries
>     permitting user selection of one or more formats.

Agreed.

> 	message pools would be great from satellite channels --how do you
>     regulate (read this as "pay for") since someone must receive the messages to
>     uplink?  -otherwise you have the dropouts of USENET.

I think that one of the faults of the mentality of development is that
people think "who will pay" first, rather than making a hack first, and
then trying to apply it to a more commercial context.

Seems to have worked with PGP/Netscape/Yahoo/<insert startup high tech IPO
here>.

> 	user interface is the achilles heel for most programmers --the time is
>     spent making the code 'work.'  with the tools available which allow multi-
>     platform development, the *functional* GUI should be done by someone who
>     creates "artitstic" interfaces.

Concur.

> 	I agree-- if encryption can be made so simple, and with a clean user
>     interface, it will be used by joe sixpack (who rarely likes uncle, anyway
>     --but for different reasons). once joe sixpack starts to use (probably
>     dropping his private keys...), then it is too pervasive to stop --even if
>     there are a few high level prosecutions.

Exactly.

> 	one of our greatest failings v/v encryption as a group (including
>     coderpunks) is we are satisfied with our access to encrytion. PGP is a
>     nusiance, and the instructions are not clear --so we experiment until we get
>     the results: on the command line.

Concur most strongly.

> 	our satisfaction makes us insular; we need to think in global terms --mass
>     marketing of a free product which will hold appeal for everyone.  encryption
>     is no different than the students in China --no, they do have it, but how long
>     can Father Deng (and his successors) hang on against technology and quest for
>     knowledge?

All most important questions to consider.

I think if people begin to write modularly there will be nice front ends
for almost everything.

> --
> Fuck off, Uncle Sam. Cyberspace is where democracy lives!

Thread