1996-07-09 - Re: What remains to be done.

Header Data

From: “Deranged Mutant” <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
To: Ray Arachelian <sunder@dorsai.dorsai.org>
Message Hash: 9084b7748bebeb480ce5167410a6f92fc5a9ef402702104f3e7414fd0f4b77f7
Message ID: <199607082124.RAA09624@unix.asb.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 09:47:53 +0800

Raw message

From: "Deranged Mutant" <WlkngOwl@unix.asb.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 09:47:53 +0800
To: Ray Arachelian <sunder@dorsai.dorsai.org>
Subject: Re: What remains to be done.

On  8 Jul 96 at 14:12, Ray Arachelian wrote:
[..]
> I'm constantly switching between NT and 95 and have them installed on the
> same drive.  Would be cool to have some low level driver to encryption
> from the Master Boot Record for example to get around unfriendly OS's- but
> then NT won't respect the BIOS calls, 95 in 32 bit mode won't, Linux sure
> as hell wont, etc.... that was the whole idea of having a BIOS in the
> first place, but woe is us.

BIOS was written for real mode... part of the problem. Another is the
not-made-here syndrome, and in a sense Linux, OS/2, NT and 95 are
different types of operating systems, so a shared BIOS is unfeasible.

It would be nice to develop an encrypted filesystem that could be
ported across operating systems for those of us with multiple OS's.

BTW, Linux 2.0 is making a nice step in that direction by adding
support for mounting a file (which contains a filesystem),
specifically to allow encrypted file systems as well as things like
testing out iso9660-fs before buring CD-ROMs, etc.  In theory
something similar can be done with Win95/NT and OS/2, but it hasn't
been done the proper way (SecureDevice is really a hack in that
sense).

---
No-frills sig.
Befriend my mail filter by sending a message with the subject "send help"
Key-ID: 5D3F2E99 1996/04/22 wlkngowl@unix.asb.com (root@magneto)
        AB1F4831 1993/05/10 Deranged Mutant <wlkngowl@unix.asb.com>
Send a message with the subject "send pgp-key" for a copy of my key.

Thread