1996-07-24 - Re: Responding to Pre-dawn Unannounced Ninja Raids

Header Data

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
To: hallam@Etna.ai.mit.edu
Message Hash: 93e8a74c31cda505328e5a5b23a40ad8dbeaae9ea2499df3c8bce3840ca51d7b
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.93.960724121604.1099D-100000@smoke.suba.com>
Reply To: <9607231938.AA01857@Etna.ai.mit.edu>
UTC Datetime: 1996-07-24 22:12:30 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 06:12:30 +0800

Raw message

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 1996 06:12:30 +0800
To: hallam@Etna.ai.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Responding to Pre-dawn Unannounced Ninja Raids

On Tue, 23 Jul 1996 hallam@Etna.ai.mit.edu wrote:
> The facts are very clear, if you have a handgun in the house it is
> far more likely to kill a member of the familly than stop an
> intruder. The NRA know this which is why they have lobbied for the
> CDC to stop research in this area - they do not like the facts.

     That family member is usually not killed in an accident. You are
also more likely to be stabbed by a family member, beaten by a family
member, raped by a family member, and stolen from by a family member.

     Maybe we should outlaw families.

> As someone who qualifies to be issued with a handgun under the UK
> regulations I have been informed that the protection offered is
> marginal at best. An intruder is certain to be more prepared than
> the intended victim, it is extreemly unlikely that the intruder will
> not get the first shot in.

      This sir is pure crap. In fact it is far more likely that an armed
and prepared occupant will take out a thug. There have been 2 cases here
in Chicago where elderly citizens (one 86 years old, and in a wheelchair)
got the drop on teenage hooligans that were in the process of burglarizing
their homes (in the case of the 86 year old, sexual assault was also occuring)
In both cases at least on of the perps died. As they deserved too.

      These people (burglars) are not worth the bullet it takes to get rid of
them.

Petro, Christopher C.
petro@suba.com <prefered for any non-list stuff>
snow@smoke.suba.com