1996-07-27 - Re: “privatizing” phones?

Header Data

From: Cerridwyn Llewyellyn <ceridwyn@wolfenet.com>
To: Brendon Macaraeg <bqm1808@is.nyu.edu>
Message Hash: 954863fdab781b728cc7840584cef11653b38399ffda28a01d26e845a3573c07
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960727172110.006e30bc@gonzo.wolfenet.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 03:29:27 +0800

Raw message

From: Cerridwyn Llewyellyn <ceridwyn@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 03:29:27 +0800
To: Brendon Macaraeg <bqm1808@is.nyu.edu>
Subject: Re: "privatizing" phones?

>While shopping for a new phone recently, I came across
>two models (Toshiba and Uniden I believe) that
>have buttons to "privatize" you conversations. These
>were on no-cord models. Does anyone have any idea
>on what these actually do? Can the phones  change
> the frequency the call is on randomly
>so people can't tune into it? I know cellulars offer something
>similar. Personally, I would never put much faith into
>something of this sort.

Even if they did change the frequency the call was on,
it would be a simple matter to decode how the frequency
change was negotiated, and "follow" the call (also easily
accomplished with cellular calls).  Failing that, there is
a very limited range of frequencies allocated for cordless
fones, and simply re-scanning for the conversation is a
trivial inconvenience. //cerridwyn//

Thread