1996-07-28 - Re: Twenty Beautiful Women

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: David Sternlight <david@sternlight.com>
Message Hash: ac7473e454d83bfbfc729240318e6c99d339a3e326f4527ad08a81dfd9a13069
Message ID: <ae2005a310021004b85c@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 10:34:13 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 1996 10:34:13 +0800
To: David Sternlight <david@sternlight.com>
Subject: Re: Twenty Beautiful Women

At 6:19 PM 7/27/96, David Sternlight wrote:
>Here's another:
>
>Twenty beautiful women are to pass before you, one by one (or 20 handsome
>men). You see only one at a time. You cannot speak to them. After seeing
>any one, you must pick her or reject her. If you reject her, you cannot
>change your mind. If you pick her the exercise terminates.
>
>What is the optimal strategy for insuring you get the most beautiful woman
>possible under the circumstances?

Look at the first 1/e of them, or about the first 36.8% of them. In this
case, the first 7 of them. Then pick the first one after this group which
is better than any of the first group.

While there is some chance that one will get to #20 and find that none of
#8-20 were better than #1-7, this strategy is the best compromise between
"committing too early" and "waiting too long."

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!