1996-07-07 - Re: [RANT] Giving Mind Control Drugs to Children

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: d9961539e3341fbd35bc89040b6ba4bcf9ab0d6f3e50ece4405d93df4239352e
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960707194409.00f12000@mail.teleport.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 07:18:56 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 07:18:56 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: [RANT] Giving Mind Control Drugs to Children

At 06:10 PM 7/7/96 -0700, Timothy C. May wrote:

>(As Sandy S. also noted, Ritalin has "paradoxical" effects. (I saw Sandy's
>remark after sending off my reply to Simon.))
>
>I've _seen_ the kid on Ritalin, and he's zombie. When it wears off, he's
>back to being alert and active.

Stimulants tend to have an odd effect on children.  Instead of making them
more active, they tend to do just the opposite.  (My daughter used to have
that problem with caffiene.  Used to put her to sleep.)

This makes the situation even more scary, considering how little is known
about the brain chemistry of growing children.  I am expecting the long term
effects of these drugs will be "interesting".  (And not in a good way.)  I
know a woman who was tranq'ed as a kid.  She is nice and sweet, cannot dream
at all, and is a total and unrepentant sociopath.  Your results may vary.

---
|"Computers are Voodoo -- You just have to know where to stick the pins."|
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmermann unites all| Disclaimer:         |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!"  | Ignore the man      |
|`finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key  | behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.teleport.com/~alano/          | alano@teleport.com  |

Thread