1996-07-09 - Re: [RANT] Giving Mind Control Drugs to Children

Header Data

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
To: Rick Smith <erehwon@c2.org
Message Hash: e6a89f06f49e27e311b4d7c8dacd07a686fadf32e84b28aa1b6b8d4e3a38748b
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960709164455.00b3878c@mail.teleport.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 06:33:45 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan Olsen <alano@teleport.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 06:33:45 +0800
To: Rick Smith <erehwon@c2.org
Subject: Re: [RANT] Giving Mind Control Drugs to Children

At 10:39 AM 7/9/96 -0500, Rick Smith wrote:
>erehwon@c2.org (William Knowles) writes:
>
>>Ritalin has been a godsend, I am able to dialin when I have to.
>>Ritalin is not the only drug for treating ADD, Prozac works for
>>some.

Prozac works on a different set of brain chemestry. (Prozac messes with the
seretonin level of the brain and how it is reabsorbed.)  There is a whole
series of chemicals similar to Prozac that are prescribed.  It takes a bit
to determine just which one is best for the person involved.  (I have far
too many friends on variations of those drugs.)  The reactions when they
come off them is quite "interesting".  Prozac is not a stimulant however.
(Not in the usual concept of a stimulant.)

>I use coffee, or else I just managed to grow out of the worst effects.
>In any case, I drink more coffee than just about anyone I know, and it
>doesn't "wire" me at all.

"It is by caffiene alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the beans of
Java that the thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes
become a warning.  It is by caffiene alone I set my mind in motion."

You can build a resistance to caffiene.  (As well as one hell of an
addiction.)  So far I am up to a gram a day of the stuff.  Mix that with the
Seldane-Ds I take every morning (for hay fever) and you get more than a
small amount of stimulants.  (I have found that the Seldane-Ds have a
positive psychoactive effect as well.  They seem to allow me to focus
better.  Probibly because I am not sneezing.)

The long term effects of any stimulant is problbiy not very good.  What
needs to be looked at is what the long term benifits and risks are, for the
individual, not just for the society.  What these sorts of chemicals do to
small children 10-30 years down the road is pretty unknown at this point.
(If any of the things i have seen so far are any indication, they are not good.)

But then, I suspect the government of drugging our kids with school lunches
laced with lead paint, not with mind control drugs. (Lead paint is cheaper.) ]:>

Alan Olsen
Minister of Forced Caffinization - DNRC
---
|"Computers are Voodoo -- You just have to know where to stick the pins."|
|"The moral PGP Diffie taught Zimmermann unites all| Disclaimer:         |
| mankind free in one-key-steganography-privacy!"  | Ignore the man      |
|`finger -l alano@teleport.com` for PGP 2.6.2 key  | behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.teleport.com/~alano/          | alano@teleport.com  |

Thread