1996-07-30 - Re: Secure drive?

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: “Geoffrey C. Grabow” <gcg@pb.net>
Message Hash: ec193158c66f76575ae305b4289d4bb40396875657f1c3c7760a5bc2075ab706
Message ID: <2.2.32.19960729222333.008ca220@panix.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 09:41:23 +0800

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 09:41:23 +0800
To: "Geoffrey C. Grabow" <gcg@pb.net>
Subject: Re: Secure drive?

>I assume that when you say that "it does", this means that I can access the
>encrypted drive from Win95.  If so, can you tell me how.  I have a 50mb
>partition that's encrypted and if I boot to DOS everything works perfectly,
>but from Win95, the drive is always encrypted.  I've tried entering my
>passphrase prior to Win95 loading... no effect.  If I try to enter my pp
>from a DOS box, it says that the SECTSR isn't loaded, but MEM says that it
>is.  Any thoughts?

Sort of.  Open "Control Panel."  Open "System."  Click the "Performance"
tab.  Click the <V>irtual Memory radio button.  Check/select "Let <m>e
specify my own virtual memory settings."  Check Di<s>able virtual memory
(not recommended).  Click the "OK" radio button.  Ignore the warning dialog
box which appears and click "Yes."  Reboot WIN95 and your encrypted
partition should be accessible (if you log into it under DOS before loading
Windows), and all your drives will be operating at 16-bit speeds.

DCF

Thread