1996-07-30 - Denning vs. Gilmore

Header Data

From: rod@wired.com (Roderick Simpson)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f7a22a5d230189db2165be7b1752d0a70918eed6794910b93f6649ad35b25f95
Message ID: <v02140b09ae2281f8f878@[204.62.132.248]>
Raw Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 10:09:42 +0800

Raw message

From: rod@wired.com (Roderick Simpson)
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 10:09:42 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Denning vs. Gilmore

Today, Monday, July 29, Dorothy Denning begins her debate vs. John Gilmore
over The Absolute Right to Privacy on Wired Online's Brain Tennis site. Do
citizens of the world have an "unalienable right" to privacy - or are there
reasons why governments ought to have access to our communications? This
debate will run daily through August 7. Follow along at
http://www.wired.com/braintennis/. To get into the debate yourself, go to:

http://www.hotwired.com/cgi-bin/interact/replies_all?msg.21655

An excerpt of Dorothy's first post today:

     "I'm not ready to accept 'the cat is out of
     the bag.' Let's look for a way of enjoying
     the benefits of encryption without
     unnecessarily hindering the ability of law
     enforcement to perform its mission. Let's
     use encryption for privacy, but also give
     law enforcement access to communications and
     computer files when there is probable cause
     and a judge has issued a court order. In
     some cases, that access must be
     surreptitious. Imagine the FBI calling a
     family boss and saying 'Give me your keys so
     I can wiretap your phone!'"

John Gilmore's first post follows tomorrow. See you there.

Best,
Roderick Simpson
rod@wired.com
Wired Online