1996-08-21 - RE: Canada Imprisons People For Human Rights Activity

Header Data

From: jbugden@smtplink.alis.ca
To: qut@netcom.com (Skip)
Message Hash: 0145cbad05e3a1e4b47ad6f0335168c0701e2c194185dce1fdea9653a8a52f79
Message ID: <9607218406.AA840654179@smtplink.alis.ca>
Raw Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 06:19:41 +0800

Raw message

From: jbugden@smtplink.alis.ca
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 06:19:41 +0800
To: qut@netcom.com (Skip)
Subject: RE: Canada Imprisons People For Human Rights Activity

qut@netcom.com (Skip)
>... you support imprisoning and deporting people based purely on their
political ideas, ... Re: Ernst Zndel and his years of imprisonment by a court
for merely expressing his racist ideas, racist political ideas being
strictly illegal in Canada...

Actually, he was charged with inciting hatred against a recognizable group but
was eventually freed on appeal. I think the problem was that the prosecution
could not find anyone who listened to Zundel and didn't already hate the same
groups. Hence, no incitement.

He is currently fighting to get his Canadian citizenship, (he is a German
citizen) while many other people are fighting to prevent this. Zundel believes
that returning to Germany would result in imprisonment.

It's nice to know that the people we imprison for their views are still willing
to go to court to become a Canadian citizen.

James

Nota: Quebec recently held a referendum on seperation from Canada.
Just talk about secession of a state in the U.S., and you'll quickly see which
country makes political ideas illegal.

Thread