1996-08-15 - forget photographing license plates!

Header Data

From: The Prisoner <null@void.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 04709132b018233bc2c4533f1f724686ecdde82623a1d83566d69a59881bfc38
Message ID: <3212B8F9.367A@void.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 15:50:37 +0800

Raw message

From: The Prisoner <null@void.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 15:50:37 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: forget photographing license plates!

from comp.risks:

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 96 15:52:22 PDT
From: Greg Dolkas <greg@core.rose.hp.com>
Subject: RISKy cars coming!

"In the 22 Jul 1996 issue of Fortune was an interesting look into the future
of automobile electronics, "Soon Your Dashboard Will Do Everything (Except
Steer)".  "

>>> Does that include reporting your movements to the Central Bureau?

"The topic of steering has already been discussed in this forum,
but what caught my eye was a review of the "OnStar" product from GM.
Besides being a navigation aid, it also contains "some anti-bonehead
features".  "

>>> Thank God people keep trying to save me from myself.

"These include the ability for you to call GM's "control center"
for help if you lock your keys in the car, or forget where you parked it.
>From the control center, they can "electronically reach into the car" to
unlock the doors, or honk the horn and flash its lights."

>>> It is extremely comforting to me -- I don't know about you -- to think that GM will maintain a control center able to communicate with my auto electronics.  Shit, why not TRW?

Thread