1996-08-03 - Re: [off-topic] roving wiretaps

Header Data

From: Roger Williams <roger@coelacanth.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 0731b05002c5ffd138f1689d8fd0c3cd68b636055a90a4f4fc933a6f149e5119
Message ID: <rogervif183vx.fsf@sturgeon.coelacanth.com>
Reply To: <2.2.32.19960802234117.006acb90@gonzo.wolfenet.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-03 07:04:59 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 15:04:59 +0800

Raw message

From: Roger Williams <roger@coelacanth.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 1996 15:04:59 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: [off-topic] roving wiretaps

  >> One should understand that monitoring cellular traffic is *much*
  >> more difficult than tapping a conventional phone...

  > I'd have to disagree on that point.  Monitoring cellular traffic
  > requires nothing more than a cellular phone, and some software
  > which enables you to follow calls through the cells, for a total
  > cost of about $500...

Agreed.  I know that this capability was available to organisations at
the level of the State Police over ten years ago, and has long been
available to anyone with a credit card and the ability to read the
adverts in the back of _Police Chief_ magazine...

--
Roger Williams                         finger me for my PGP public key
Coelacanth Engineering        consulting & turnkey product development

Thread