1996-08-16 - Re: Burden of proof

Header Data

From: Alan Horowitz <alanh@infi.net>
To: Scottauge@aol.com
Message Hash: 089325ef6efab14cc3916118adbbd494d4fc38b16d5abde341b98231d47bd166
Message ID: <Pine.SV4.3.91.960816164532.25274G-100000@larry.infi.net>
Reply To: <960815192512_457514748@emout07.mail.aol.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-16 23:52:00 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 07:52:00 +0800

Raw message

From: Alan Horowitz <alanh@infi.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 07:52:00 +0800
To: Scottauge@aol.com
Subject: Re: Burden of proof

> > This relates to something I have been wondering about:  If one could
> >  get one's company to pay one in electronic cash, what is to stop one
> >  from piling the coins in a Datahaven somewhere (assuming one existed

   The income "tax" is not a tax.... it is an excise. There is a crucial
difference. Taxes are assessed against *things*, excises are assessed
against events.

If you don't pay a property tax, the assessor forcloses agains the thing.
If the thing changes hands during the tax year, the tax due is pro-rated
against both parties interest in the item.

An excise is assessed against an event. For example, the constructive
recipt of income. As in, when the employer disburses it to your
constructive (*legal definition*) control.

That's why you cannot say to the IRS, "Sorry, I already spent it all. You
can't assesse me, I don't have it".

Thread