1996-08-09 - Re: STEGO GUNS

Header Data

From: JonWienk@ix.netcom.com
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 20985a48d5d65903514a2ab3f5fda11c0a75a13d97b68c88b66af36bcaa5664d
Message ID: <199608090145.SAA05012@dfw-ix2.ix.netcom.com>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.95.960808070140.18519C-100000@netcom4>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-09 05:23:59 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 13:23:59 +0800

Raw message

From: JonWienk@ix.netcom.com
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 13:23:59 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: STEGO GUNS

On Thu, 8 Aug 1996, jonathon <grafolog@netcom.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 7 Aug 1996 JonWienk@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>
>> In 1981, the city of Kennesaw, GA suffered 17 violent crimes and 55
>> burglaries.
>> In 1982, Kennesaw passed an ordinance requiring all city residents to own a
>
>	Said ordinance being passed, as a protest against Elk Grove, IL
>	passing an orinance, banning handguns.  Anybody know when Elk
>	Grove revoked their ordinance?  Crime went down for six months
>	there [ Elk Grove ] after the ban was passed, then it went up
>	--- far surpassing previous crime levels, for all types of
>	crime.

First of all, you are talking about Morton Grove, not Elk Grove.  Second of all,
the ban was mostly ignored--the first year it was in effect, only 17 guns were
turned in. The Morton Grove gun ban was not a statistically significant event.

Jonathan Wienke

"Today Americans would be outraged if U.N. troops entered Los Angeles to restore
order; tomorrow they will be grateful! This is especially true if they were told
there was an outside threat from beyond, whether real or promulgated, that
threatened our very existence. It is then that all peoples of the world will
pledge with world leaders to deliver them from this evil. The one thing every
man fears is the unknown. When presented with this scenarios, individual rights
will be willingly relinquished for the guarantee of their well being granted to
them by their world government."
--Henry Kissinger in an address to the Bilderberg organization meeting at Evian,
France, May 21, 1992. Transcribed from a tape recording made by one of the Swiss
delegates.

"A conservative is a liberal who got mugged last night."
--Lee Rodgers

Key fingerprint =  30 F9 85 7F D2 75 4B C6  BC 79 87 3D 99 21 50 CB

Thread