1996-08-09 - Cybergangs?

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 232b80532c4a480301cf3f1229c7069a7abef20e901258d8e1e256d42b75edff
Message ID: <01I81T5ESZKS9JD3MN@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 15:03:25 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 15:03:25 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Cybergangs?

From:	IN%"educom@educom.unc.edu"  8-AUG-1996 22:27:27.58

>Edupage, 8 August 1996.  Edupage, a summary of news about information
>technology, is provided three times a week as a service by Educom,
>a Washington, D.C.-based consortium of leading colleges and universities
>seeking to transform education through the use of information technology.

>CYBERGANGS
>The head of the gang task force for the Arizona Department of Public Safety
>reports that a Web site established in Detroit offers a how-to guide for
>gangster wannabes and is urging gang members everywhere to unite under its
>umbrella to form the first cyberspace gang.  The official says:  "Now it's
>in your home, your living room, your den... Unfortunately, these guys can
>talk about anything they want and there's nothing law enforcement can do
>about it."  (Atlanta Journal-Constitution 8 Aug 96 F3)

	Umm... yes, it's called free speech. While organizational ability
might be a matter for concern, somehow I doubt that having them on the net
will do any real damage... being on a computer that mine is connected to hardly
puts them "in [my] home," even if my computer at home were connected to a phone
line. Bloody law enforcement paranoids...
	-Allen