1996-08-28 - Edited Edupage, 20 August 1996

Header Data

From: “E. ALLEN SMITH” <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 24e6abf60874adc27ad665937a970667edd809a24b32ef19b3058ea641cbeb2b
Message ID: <01I8SBQ60IWW9JDBTS@mbcl.rutgers.edu>
Raw Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 13:15:06 +0800

Raw message

From: "E. ALLEN SMITH" <EALLENSMITH@ocelot.Rutgers.EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 13:15:06 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Edited Edupage, 20 August 1996

> From:	IN%"educom@educom.unc.edu" 21-AUG-1996 02:46:51.91
>CC:
>Subj:	Edupage, 20 August 1996

[...]

>Edupage, 20 August 1996.  Edupage, a summary of news about information
>technology, is provided three times a week as a service by Educom,
>a Washington, D.C.-based consortium of leading colleges and universities
>seeking to transform education through the use of information technology.

[...]

	I am willing to bet that the new domain name organization(s) will also
have to implement a policy similar to the below, although some may be more
lax on one side or the other. (It occurs to me that ibm.org should not be
confusable with ibm.com by any "reasonable person" - or at least any reasonable
person with any business making assumptions by what they see on the Net.)

>NETWORK SOLUTIONS SEEKS DOMAIN DISPUTE SOLUTIONS
>Network Solutions Inc., which August 9 announced another round of revisions
>to its Domain Name Dispute Policy, is imposing additional requirements on
>the trademark holder who challenges a domain name registrant with trademark
>violation.  The trademark registration must be identical to the domain name,
>and trademark holders must provide NSI a certified copy of its trademark
>registration, as well as a copy of a written notification addressed to the
>domain registrant of the trademark holder's prior claim.  In an attempt to
>avoid being named in any more lawsuits, the new NSI policy implements an
>interpleader-like procedure, where NSI turns over control of any disputed
>domain name to the court and will carry out all court orders without being
>named a party to the suit.  The new guidelines go into effect Sept. 9, and
>text of the revised policy can be found at < http://rs.internic.net >.  (BNA
>Daily Report for Executives 19 Aug 96 A7)

	Hopefully, the below is a bit too pessimistic... it appears quite
possible to institute more just charges (as per how much the person is
burdening the Net) without a crash. (Did AOL's size have anything to do with
the length of the shutdown, as opposed to its effects?)

>GROWING PAINS ON THE NET
>The inadvertent shutdown of America Online a few weeks ago was only the
>beginning, say some industry observers, who predict that outages at
>overburdened Internet providers will become more common in the future.
>"Maybe for the first time in the history of the Internet, the demand is
>exceeding the supply that technology can deliver," says the CEO of Advanced
>Network & Services.  Because flat-rate pricing is the dominant Internet
>service provider business model, there is no financial incentive to conserve
>the resource, warns the executive VP of Nynex Science & Technology.  He
>predicts that the Internet eventually will collapse under its own weight,
>but will reemerge with "a lot more tollbooths on that highway than there are
>now."  (Business Week 26 Aug 96 p62)

[...]