1996-08-16 - Re: photographed license plates

Header Data

From: “George Kuzmowycz” <gkuzmo@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 2fec8eb28e2ca255e647da0ee1249af71f6a6a2d053aba03fe73b877eda5f951
Message ID: <199608161428.HAA16044@dfw-ix7.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 01:26:49 +0800

Raw message

From: "George Kuzmowycz" <gkuzmo@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 1996 01:26:49 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: photographed license plates

On 14 Aug 96 at 22:12, The Prisoner wrote:

> Timothy C. May wrote:
> >
> > [WHACK]
>
> > Maybe we'll have barcoded license plates sooner than we think. Then all of
> > those speed cameras can also track our movements.
> >

> No, too low-tech.
>
> Small trasnsmitters with unique programmed ID codes broadcast as you drive.  Much easier to trace.  And LoJack's
> already got a good bit of the technology in place.

  Actually, a system like this is in place for toll collection in and
around New York City, and on the New York State Thruway (a toll road
that runs from NYC to Buffalo). It's called EZ-Pass, and involves
some sort of programmed radio device that's scanned by the toll booth
as you pass through. It can even automatically debit your VISA
account. I am not aware of what representations, if any, they've made
about the privacy of the data.

  An interesting economic point is that for the NYC bridges and
tunnels, at least, EZ-Pass is now the only way to get discounted
fares. The toll is $3.50 per bridge crossing. It used to be that they
sold tokens, and if you bought a roll of tokens you'd get a
discounted rate. Now they no longer sell the tokens in bulk, but the
same discount is applied if you use the EZ-Pass system. The anonymous
transaction is now the more costly one.

        -gk-

Thread