1996-08-15 - Win NT - Internet Security Alert (fwd)

Header Data

From: Rich Graves <win-request@metrics.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 471bd4b2b97b96135cf7f8b15bb7b5f702be06f377c639634397e02d79098914
Message ID: <Pine.GUL.3.95.960815124525.10248B-100000@Networking.Stanford.EDU>
Raw Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 07:41:15 +0800

Raw message

From: Rich Graves <win-request@metrics.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 07:41:15 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Win NT - Internet Security Alert (fwd)

I'm not approving this for comp.os.ms-windows.announce, but I figure it's
on-topic here (what isn't?). I was intrigued by their "proprietary
procedures to recover Windows NT installation with a lost administrator's
password."

(The procedure I'd suggest: boot from a DOS or Linux floppy with an NTFS
driver. Back up all the application and data files you want saved. Reformat
the drive, install NT, and restore the saved files.)

By the way, did you hear the one about the Microsoft tech support
recommendation to put the perl.exe interpreter into a world-executable
directory? www.bugnet.com

-rich