1996-08-24 - Re: CyberTerrorism

Header Data

From: jya@pipeline.com (John Young)
To: isi@hooked.net
Message Hash: 4b49e2785128fac2cbf468ac80b96e6d9e6ae1a6cc8b9034ff9c75318132be7e
Message ID: <199608241141.LAA08906@pipe4.t2.usa.pipeline.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 11:29:49 -0700 (PDT)

Raw message

From: jya@pipeline.com (John Young)
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 1996 11:29:49 -0700 (PDT)
To: isi@hooked.net
Subject: Re: CyberTerrorism

On Aug 23, 1996 18:34:42, '"Institute for Security and Intelligence"
<isi@hooked.net>' wrote:

>John:
>
>Your message regarding my comments on CyberTerrorism was forwarded to me.

>Rather than waxing poetic beration, how about some actually useful
>perspective?
>
>If you have experience in this area, let's talk.  If you have something to

>contribute, let's get it out where it can be useful.
>
>It's time to put up, or shut up John.
>
>Regards,
>Barry C. Collin

---------

   Dear Mr. Collin,

   Thank you for writing. And for the cyber-terrorism hoot,
   which helps purge ignorant fears with insightful
   laughter.

   The best way I know for citizens to ease their induced-
   panic of terrorism in all forms -- gov, com, edu, org --
   is to become more informed. And to be wary of "terrorist
   threats" in all their burgeoning guises -- "national
   security" being one of the most deceitful.

   To counter Nat Sec snake oil in the rising commerce in
   "cyber-terrorism" (a residue of the natsec oil tank)
   citizens should participate in the wit and wisdom of
   wide-open Internet mail-lists dealing with computer
   privacy and security.

   The best of these is the list Cypherpunks. (E-mail "info"
   to majordomo@toad.com.)

   Cypherpunks, far more tolerant and less treacherously
   commercially self-serving than all others, explores an
   amazing range of CompSec issues, technologies, policies,
   strategies and fantasies. Its archive of several years
   offers a historical treasure on the transformation of
   state control of comp tech to its service of the
   citizenry.

   This is exemplified by Cypherpunks primary focus,
   cryptography, and the diverse ways it has moved from
   narrow use to conceal privileged power to widespread
   application to protect individual privacy (especially
   those dissenting to heirarchical authority -- gov, com,
   edu, org).

   Your agent provocateurist comedy on cyber-terrorist
   inebriation could be enriched by hanging on Cypherpunks,
   say, your buffoonery for secret briefing. "If you knew
   what I knew" is a natsec-butt joke there, as it is
   becoming globally to liberated citizen-units bellowing
   "FA."

   Congrats on exposing TLA-dementia of cyber-terrorism and
   defanging its counter-agents by encouraging belly-
   laughing at the all-too-blatant hype-artistry. Only Jim
   Kallstrom does it better.

   Best regards,

   jya

Thread