1996-08-15 - Re: Anguilla - A DataHaven?

Header Data

From: William Knowles <erehwon@c2.org>
To: Arun Mehta <amehta@giasdl01.vsnl.net.in>
Message Hash: 4cd2e0f8843f789cc03b098a57dee84b5372ca98b8dc6d1bdd05aa9bb5f5d9bc
Message ID: <Pine.SUN.3.94.960815104107.8090A-100000@infinity.c2.net>
Reply To: <m0uqxnq-000rU7C@maki.wwa.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-15 22:16:08 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 06:16:08 +0800

Raw message

From: William Knowles <erehwon@c2.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 06:16:08 +0800
To: Arun Mehta <amehta@giasdl01.vsnl.net.in>
Subject: Re: Anguilla - A DataHaven?

On Thu, 15 Aug 1996, Arun Mehta wrote:

> I'm sure this has come up before, but what would prevent a server
> being located on a buoy or something at sea outside territorial
> limits (or when satellites become cheaper, on a satellite itself)
> offering such services?

Something that I thought would make an excellent data haven would
be older offshore oil platforms, Their size would allow extended
living periods, electrcity and communications are in place, They
are generally built outside of the territorial waters of most
countries to avoid any damage to the shorelines if oil spilled
(possibility for becoming its own country?) and with the hoops
that Shell Oil went through to please Greenpeace with its last
oil platform.  You have to wonder how cheap these could sell
for just to get them off the oil companies hands?

Comments or suggestions?

William Knowles
erehwon@c2.org

--
William Knowles    <erehwon@c2.org>
PGP mail welcome & prefered / KeyID 1024/2C34BCF9

Thread