1996-08-30 - Re: Encryption

Header Data

From: droelke@rdxsunhost.aud.alcatel.com (Daniel R. Oelke)
To: dthorn@gte.net
Message Hash: 5ef3193bdfbbe882b9fc01b431b5bff44e62b388fe8de814537f482e35903a2e
Message ID: <9608302028.AA00579@spirit.aud.alcatel.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 07:11:27 +0800

Raw message

From: droelke@rdxsunhost.aud.alcatel.com (Daniel R. Oelke)
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 07:11:27 +0800
To: dthorn@gte.net
Subject: Re: Encryption

I don't have a vested interest other than keeping my data safe.

A *good* cipher will work, even if someone knows the exact
implementation of it.  Given complete source code to your cipher,
(including the pseudo-random number generator you use)
and I could easily crack it with about a week's worth of effort.

If you knew anything about cryptography, you'ld know that just
giving someone some cyphertext and challenging them to crack
is not a valid test of the cipher's strength.

Again - go get a copy of Applied Cryptography and don't
come back until you have read it.

Dan

> Your comments are typical for persons with vested interests.
> Attached is a test file so you can have someone try to crack it.  In the
> meantime, don't assume because I don't use your favorite methods I don't
> know what I'm doing.
>
> Daniel R. Oelke wrote:
> >
> > Sorry to say this - but your idea stinks.
> >
> > If you are trying to send something encrypted, your
> > receiving party would need the keys, which are the seed
> > values of the pseudo-random number generators.
> >
> > Your adversary could keep trying a whole series of
> > different seeds until they found the correct one.
> > With a little more work, they could analyze the
> > pseudo-random number generator that you used, and
> > then work backwards.
> >
> > Go get a copy of Applied Cryptography Edition II.
> > Don't come back until you have read it.

[ crap deleted ]

Dan Oelke                                  Alcatel Network Systems
droelke@aud.alcatel.com                             Richardson, TX

Thread