1996-08-09 - Re: Going Postal (Was: Boom!)

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 5ff1581abff898f68d5f6b7c3ac2e6e5f261b448c82a3a21c5ca2df3d315db0a
Message ID: <ae2fef91080210040d06@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 15:13:16 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 15:13:16 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Going Postal (Was: Boom!)

At 12:50 AM 8/9/96, Mike Duvos wrote:

>The Post Office has now jumped on the terrorist bandwagon by
>announcing that it will no longer be legal to drop any package
>weighing over 16 ounces into a collection box.

Actually, CNN was reporting that this is for _airmail_ only. Which makes a
certain kind of sense, given the situation with bomb technology.

>Larger packages will have to be presented in person at the
>Post Office, and I wouldn't be surprised if several forms of
>ID were required.

The usual alternatives of UPS (cheaper) and FedEx (not so cheap) should
still be viable. This could actually boost their business.

I just had some Evil Smokeless Powder delivered to me via UPS. (The Post
Office people will not handle this stuff...it either violates their union
contracts or management is afraid the employees will use it to go postal
with.)

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!