1996-08-09 - Re: Boom!

Header Data

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 65c50509736ee5583ce43966ebf13ff9cf5bb5ebd9e8f014a078dc4f5e061f3e
Message ID: <ae2fd9c406021004edd7@[205.199.118.202]>
Raw Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 11:54:32 +0800

Raw message

From: tcmay@got.net (Timothy C. May)
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 11:54:32 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Boom!

At 10:43 PM 8/8/96, Duncan Frissell wrote:
>So, if it turns out that TWA 800 was an accidental wing tank explosion, will
>they give us our civil liberties back?  If not, why not?

You must be kidding. Civil rights (the real ones, not the affirmative
action/antidiscrimination bullshit kind) only get constricted.

The government only tightens the noose, it never loosens it.

On a related note, it looks like Richard Jewell, the "Olympic Bomber," may
not be charged and may even receive a page 37B "letter of clarification"
from the Feds. No word on what the pack of 100 media vultures camped in his
apartment's driveway will say.

I suspect he will never live a normal life. Even if never charged, the
splashing of private photos from his apartment--such as him cradling an
AR-15 while dressed in camo--will stick in people's minds. What recourse
does he have that camera crews were invited in on the searches? (*)

(* In my local large city, San Jose, the cops used to invite the tabloid
t.v. crews in on busts of suspected drug dealers. Kickbacks were probably
involved. Anyway, the Fox network used to send camera crews in with the
cops who kicked down doors, getting juicy coverage for "reality t.v." shows
like "Cops." People in their underwear, people crying, people naked (Fox
covered up the naughty bits digitally). After a privacy invasion lawsuit
filed by one of the raided parties--I don't recall if they were ever found
guilty or not, not that it matters--the cops stopped inviting the camera
crews along. Judging by what I still see on t.v., other cities haven't
stopped the practice. Surely a raid by cops, justified or not, does not
give me, or you, or KCBS t.v. to tag along and enter a private home with
our tape recorders and cameras rolling.)

--Tim May

Boycott "Big Brother Inside" software!