1996-08-05 - Re: Bombs & bomb threats in LA

Header Data

From: pjb@ny.ubs.com (Paul J. Bell)
To: umwalber@cc.UManitoba.CA
Message Hash: 6c43689ac17546873ecde436482f99354da063dd310617cdf926fc255dae558e
Message ID: <9608051411.AA07503@sherry.ny.ubs.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 01:29:20 +0800

Raw message

From: pjb@ny.ubs.com (Paul J. Bell)
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 01:29:20 +0800
To: umwalber@cc.UManitoba.CA
Subject: Re: Bombs & bomb threats in LA

"picric acid is indeed more powerful than TNT.  it was the primary explosive
used in WW-I. it was also the primary cargo on a ship, i think it was the
"Montblac", that exploded in Halifax harbor and nearly wiped-out the city. this
was in the 1917 - 1919 timeframe.

	-paul

> From cypherpunks-errors@toad.com Fri Aug  2 19:04:53 1996
> Date: Fri, 2 Aug 1996 13:12:30 -0500 (CDT)
> From: Sean Walberg <umwalber@cc.UManitoba.CA>
> To: Conrad Walton <conrad@walton.com>
> Cc: cypherpunks@toad.com
> Subject: Re: Bombs & bomb threats in LA
> Sender: owner-cypherpunks@toad.com
>
> I remember seeing an item on TV that had mentioned an acid bomb (it was a
> news report about a public access TV show that was showing people how to
> make bombs).  In this example, some common chemicals were mixed together,
> tightly closed, and moments later an explosion occured.  They never said
> the chemicals, for all I know it could have been lemon juice and baking
> soda in a sealed container, a la Dry Ice bomb...  It didn't look like a
> bomb of mass destruction, more of a loud bang and a smallish explosion...
>
> Sean
>

> On Fri, 2 Aug 1996, Conrad Walton wrote:
>
> > >and everyplace else all the news.answers FAQs are stored. What, precisely, is
> > >an acid bomb? Also note the standard blame-the-Internet (not, say, increased
> > >irritation with government after the Republicans failed to reduce it)
> > >rhetoric.
> >
> > i'm not exactly sure what an acid bomb is, but according to my book, The
> > Anarchist Cookbook, that I bought in 1972 (was the internet around back
> > then?), there is a compound called "picric acid" that is "more powerful
> > than TNT, but has some disadvantages".

> Sean Walberg                              umwalber@cc.umanitoba.ca
> The Web Guy                  http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umwalber
> UNIX Group, U. of Manitoba          PGP Key Available from Servers

Thread