1996-08-07 - RE: Internal Passports

Header Data

From: jbugden@smtplink.alis.ca
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@eff.org>
Message Hash: 7091e081bb2c72c4eda2fbb7659044cabdcef7626671ef8adb97358200ab129b
Message ID: <9607078394.AA839443151@smtplink.alis.ca>
Raw Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 03:53:00 +0800

Raw message

From: jbugden@smtplink.alis.ca
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 03:53:00 +0800
To: Declan McCullagh <declan@eff.org>
Subject: RE: Internal Passports

I've seen the same problem in a department store in Ottawa. They would not
accept a Canadian Passport as identification for payment by cheque but would
accept various credit cards and similar devices.

My conclusion was that they wanted something that would show my friend's credit
worthiness, not prove his identity.

James

Declan McCullagh <declan@eff.org>
>I had the same problems when I was working at Xerox in Webster, NY.
>Supermarkets just plain didn't want to accept my passport as valid ID.

>> At 15:48 8/4/96, Bill Stewart wrote:
>>
>> A US passport is not considered valid ID by the State of Oregon. If
>> somebody here doesn't belive this, send someone who looks like he
>> might be under 21 into any liquor store in Oregon with just an US
>> passport.

Thread