1996-08-05 - Re: Integrating PGP 3.0 Library with INN

Header Data

From: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
To: ichudov@algebra.com
Message Hash: 7232c30946d5ce2f03c0a8c087f2e434d602ab7cf2cce6425417d9bfcc2d2265
Message ID: <199608052017.PAA09340@homeport.org>
Reply To: <199608051829.NAA19030@galaxy.galstar.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-05 23:22:42 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 07:22:42 +0800

Raw message

From: Adam Shostack <adam@homeport.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 07:22:42 +0800
To: ichudov@algebra.com
Subject: Re: Integrating PGP 3.0 Library with INN

Igor Chudov wrote:

| Has anyone thought of integrating PGP 3.0 library with INN?
|
| I was thinking along the lines of having PGPMoose support built
| right into INN: if an arriving article is posted to a moderated
| newsgroup for which a PGP key is available in the INN's keyring,
| INN verifies existence and correctness of a PGP signature.

| If moderators choose short enough keys (512 bits for example), this
| verification will not take any significant amount of CPU time.

Its my experience that at full feed sites, there isn't enough cpu to
do this.  A p-90 can get ovewhelmed pretty easily trying to keep up
with the load.  Trying to look into the body of an article means at
least a few hundred more ops per article.  You could do this on a leaf
node.  However, you cut the reliability of the system by adding things
to go wrong.  Better to have a scanner that checks specific moderated
groups after INN has deposited the articles.

Adam

					               -Hume

Thread