1996-08-27 - Threat to Australian internet WAS Re: USPS

Header Data

From: Charles Senescall <apache@quux.apana.org.au>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 74d162b5ff6a19ae313c6b5559dc1d248fe842040e4d232db7b5f386d07a8c1b
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.91.960827164126.511G-100000@quux.apana.org.au>
Reply To: <Pine.BSI.3.91.960826085230.20367B-100000@wichita.fn.net>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-27 09:58:20 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 17:58:20 +0800

Raw message

From: Charles Senescall <apache@quux.apana.org.au>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 1996 17:58:20 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Threat to Australian internet WAS Re: USPS

On Mon, 26 Aug 1996, Bruce M. wrote:

If u think this is a worry, u should take a look at what the government
owned monoploly telco here in Australia is doing..

William H. Geiger III wrote: >
> > Once in place all the goverment needs to do is ban all e-mail not sent
> > through their system. Add this to the outlawing of all non-keyescrowed
> > encryption, and the ability to archive all messages sent through their
> > system. Now the goverment would have total access to everything you
> > wright.
>
>     Why not?  I believe it is already illegal to place anything in a
> person's physical mail box that the post office hasn't processed.  For
> the sake of preserving the 'integrity and security' of the Internet I
> can see the govt. taking such future actions.

Or 'they' can use our Telco (Tel$tra) 's approach and introduce
_timecharged_ local data calls as it is trying to do here in Australia.

What better or easier way to destroy our meagre outlet for free speech
than to cost it out of existance.

See Stewart Fist's excellent article on the subject currently available
on "The Australian" newspapers site:

<A HREF="http://www.australian.aust.com/computer/columns/fistcom.htm">

See also draft legislation at

<A HREF="http://www.dca.gov.au/govtpol.html">

and Universal Telco Service Obligations at

<A HREF="http://www.dca.gov.au/"> (many references)

They took our firearms last month..they're comin back for the net this month.

--
   .////.   .//    Charles Senescall            apache@quux.apana.org.au
 o:::::::::///     Fuck TEL$TRA
>::::::::::\\\     Finger me for PGP PUBKEY           Brisbane AUSTRALIA
   '\\\\\'   \\    http://quux.apana.org.au/~apache/
    DO something for your country: Butt slap a politician this xmas

Thread