1996-08-07 - Re: FAA to require transponders on all aircraft passengers

Header Data

From: “Robert A. Rosenberg” <hal9001@panix.com>
To: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Message Hash: 8695ab1dece2a4b035fb332469820ef3d4bd751abb103019dccc047896dcbdb1
Message ID: <v03007802ae2c8c62a9da@[166.84.220.80]>
Reply To: <199608042050.NAA12512@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-08-07 09:18:44 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 17:18:44 +0800

Raw message

From: "Robert A. Rosenberg" <hal9001@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 1996 17:18:44 +0800
To: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: FAA to require transponders on all aircraft passengers

At 13:50 -0700 8/4/96, Bill Stewart wrote:

>My guess about how they'll be used is to replace the bar-code
>stickers used by many baggage-handling systems - they'll stick
>one on at checkin, corresponding to the number on your ticket,
>track them when they load them on the plane (so they know
>that all the bags correspond to people expected to get on the plane,
>as well as knowing the bags are getting on the correct plane),
>and track the tickets to make sure that all the people expected
>to get on the plane actually do get on (I think they use bar-code
>readers or OCR today, and that'll probably continue.)

They better hold off loading the containers with the luggage until they
lock down/up the plane so they can verify who got on (and can pull any
unaccompanied luggage). It is either that or unloading the plane if there
is a missing passenger.

Thread